Sunday, August 28, 2011

Populazzi by Elise Allen

☆.5
Author: Elise Allen
Released: August 1, 2011
Pages: 400
Genre: YA, Chic-Lit, Contemporary
Source: Netgalley-Kindle
ISBN: 0547481535




Cara has always dreamed of being a Populazzi, one of the popular crowd. But it's not until she changes schools that she gets a shot at it, thanks to her best friend Claudia's crazy plan. The idea is simple: The rungs of The Ladder are relationships. First get a boyfriend who's ranked low, then climb up through more boyfriends until you're not just one of the Populazzi, but the Supreme Populazzi. Yet what starts off as a fairy tale turns into a somewhat dark comedy of errors. Just when Cara reaches the top, her life hits rock bottom. She wonders why she wanted to be popular in the first place—and if there's any way to live happily ever after now.

We have all been there in one way or another. Who couldn't agree with the desire to be a part of the popular crowd and have thought of antics that would get us there? I recall the days sitting in my group of friends, looking over my shoulder toward the large group of "populazzi". Rumors circulated around them, glares shot in their direction, and hopes of belonging floated beyond. Although I never wanted to be the most popular, I did want to be that girl that everyone smiled about and said "hello" to. So, it was easy to get caught up in the story and cheer the girls along.
This is a great novel that reels readers into the psychological theory of two girls. Is it truly possible to climb up the social ladder from the very bottom? Apparently so, but at the cost of the most important. Cara goes through the ups and downs of all that is associated with the social ladder and is given the opportunity to truly drown or shine.
I liked the easy humor and clever ways of naming the various high school groups. The references to different literature or plays through Claudia were enjoyable and laughable in a good sense.
Archer was so stinking adorable! Cute, dorky, talented…did I mention cute? I just love guys who do not care what anyone thinks about themselves. They can make for such role models in novels like this. He stuck to his guns and kept going after what his heart desired wether that was a girl or a role in a play. I routed for him from page one. Go team Archer!
Couldn't stand Cara's stepdad. He reminded me of a past relationship and I actually screamed at the book every time he took control of the situation. I wanted to kick him off the pages myself!
I would recommend this to high school teens and the romantic indulgers. Beware as Elise will grasp onto you with her quick whit and entertaining characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment